Take Stock in Children (TSIC) was established in 1995 as a non-profit organization in Florida that provides a unique opportunity for deserving low-income students, many from minority families, to escape the cycle of poverty through education. We offer our students college scholarships, caring volunteer mentors, and hope for a better life. Our comprehensive services start in middle school, continue through high school and include their transition into college.
BECOME A MENTOR
Are you a caring adult who wants to invest in the life of a child? By offering consistent support and encouragement through weekly lunch meetings, you can make a huge difference in the life of a Take Stock in Children student. Click here to learn more about becoming a mentor.
THE COMMITMENT OF A TSIC MENTOR:
- Weekly 30 minute lunch meetings with TSIC student on high school campus
- Mentors may purchase lunch to bring to their students, (Dairy Queen, Subway, etc.) but this is not a requirement
- Ideally, we want to pair 9th grade students with mentors who will support and guide them throughout their four years of high school
- During lunch meetings, mentors will offer wise advice, scholastic support, and help students with goal setting and college and career exploration
- Mentors report lunch meeting to the Program Coordinator by signing the sign-in sheet, or by emailing dates of lunch meetings
TRAITS OF A GREAT TSIC MENTOR:
- A community/outreach minded adult with a heart for youth
- Has experience interacting with high school aged students
- Familiar with college applications, scholarships and financial aid processes, ACT and SAT, high-school course load, etc.
- Willing to help a student with homework if needed
- Knows how to be an encourage, can help a young person set goals, and can walk with a young person through various potential family, financial, or academic struggles
- Can inspire students to make wise decisions and reach their full potential for success
DO YOU WANT MORE INFORMATION ABOUT BECOMING A MENTOR?
Call Katherine Haney, TSIC Program Coordinator, at (386)688-7182, or e-mail at.
APPLY TO BECOME A TSIC MENTOR IN SUWANNEE COUNTY:
Fill out and submit the following contact form, to express interest in becoming a mentor. The next step is to complete the full mentor application below and mail it to Katherine Haney at 1314 Pine Ave SW, Live Oak, FL 32064 or email to. She will be in touch with you upon receipt.