Take Stock in Children (TSIC) was established in 1995 as a non-profit organization in Florida that provides a unique opportunity for deserving low-income students, many from minority families, to escape the cycle of poverty through education. We offer our students college scholarships, caring volunteer mentors, and hope for a better life. Our comprehensive services start in middle school, continue through high school and include their transition into college.
BECOME A MENTOR
Are you a caring adult who wants to invest in the life of a child? By offering consistent support and encouragement through weekly lunch meetings, you can make a huge difference in the life of a Take Stock in Children student. Click here to learn more about becoming a mentor.
The Commitment of a TSIC Mentor:
- Weekly 30 minute lunch meetings with TSIC student on high school campus
- Mentors may purchase lunch to bring to their students, (Dairy Queen, Subway, etc.) but this is not a requirement
- Ideally, we want to pair 9th grade students with mentors who will support and guide them throughout their four years of high school
- During lunch meetings, mentors will offer wise advice, scholastic support, and help students with goal setting and college and career exploration
- Mentors report lunch meeting to the Program Coordinator by signing the sign-in sheet, or by emailing dates of lunch meetings
Traits of a Great TSIC Mentor:
- A community/outreach minded adult with a heart for youth
- Has experience interacting with high school aged students
- Familiar with college applications, scholarships and financial aid processes, ACT and SAT, high-school course load, etc.
- Willing to help a student with homework if needed
- Knows how to be an encourage, can help a young person set goals, and can walk with a young person through various potential family, financial, or academic struggles
- Can inspire students to make wise decisions and reach their full potential for success
Do you want to talk to someone about becoming a mentor?
Call Katherine Haney, TSIC Program Coordinator, at (386)688-7182, or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply to Become a TSIC Mentor in Suwannee County:
Submit the application below to Katherine Haney by mail (1314 Pine Ave SW, Live Oak, FL 32064) or email (email@example.com). She will be in touch with you upon receipt.